During the picnic, I needed to visit the restroom at the National Cathedral. I am pretty certain this is the first time I've gone to the restrooms there. Everything was new. Anyway, on the way there I saw this "GITMO" stone. There is so much history and connections in all of the cathedral. I love it!
"In 1965, the officers and men of the naval base donated the gray, rectangular stone to the cathedral, which was then under construction. The gift was in appreciation for a visit in July 1964 from the dean of the cathedral, the Rev. Francis B. Sayre Jr.
"In 1965, the officers and men of the naval base donated the gray, rectangular stone to the cathedral, which was then under construction. The gift was in appreciation for a visit in July 1964 from the dean of the cathedral, the Rev. Francis B. Sayre Jr.
Sayre served as a Navy chaplain during World War II so he might have had a soft spot for sailors and Marines serving far from home. Of course, back then, Guantanamo Bay didn't have the unfortunate associations it does now, and those five letters wouldn't have seemed quite so jarring in that sacred setting.
The commemorative GITMO stone is just one of many in the neo-gothic-style Episcopal cathedral." - John Kelly

No comments:
Post a Comment