Ever since I read the play for the first time in school I have wanted to watch it. We got tickets for the play running at the H Street Theatre and headed there this evening. I was disappointed. The performance had a very in a very crude and crass manner. The humour Oscar Wilde generates in this play is because of the delivery of the lines by proper aristocratic British people. The accents didn't live up and the direction the artistic director took was not what I wanted from this play. I laughed, but only because I knew what the lines all ready were and I remembered enjoying them while reading the play. Very often I laughed before the lines were acted out. If I hadn't read the play before a lot of the subtle humour would have been lost on me during this delivery of it.
What was interesting about this play was that all the male roles were played by women and vice versa. I especially liked Sara Barker who played Algernon Moncrieff. Everyone else was just okay.
My thirst to watch this play still remains unquenched.
No comments:
Post a Comment