Saurabh and I went to the NG museum for a talk by Christian Eide on his experiences while skiing to the south pole in a record breaking 24 days 1 hour and 13 minutes. Christian is from Norway. He was funny and entertaining as he spoke about his inspirations to take on this endeavour and his experiences through it. He brought a lot of the equipment he used and wore during the trip to the talk for us to see. This included his skis, tent (that he was take down in ~30 seconds!!!!), pulk, shoes (and he showed us photos of how he fixed it when they came apart), sweater, sleeping bag (that was stored open, so he didnt have to roll it open and close each night) and other warm gear
At the South Pole
As usual, it was an excellent event and for the first time I asked a question in the Q&A session. I asked about power to charge his GPS, PDA etc when he was there. He had carried a lot of batteries, but also carried a solar panel. I thought that was interesting.


No comments:
Post a Comment