Peirce Mill
We woke up close to noon this morning but we wanted to go somewhere. Saurabh looked at the map, saw Peirce Mill and that's where we headed after running errands.
There is some parking there, and when we got there we found the last available spot.
"Peirce Mill represents the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution in America. For centuries, small water-powered mills had ground grain into flour, using human labour in every step of the process. This 1829 mill, on the other hand was a mechanized marvel, incorporating the latest labour-saving technologies pioneered by American inventor Oliver Evans. Water turned the wheel, which spun a shaft that drove gears, belts, a grain elevator, and a variety of machines. Assisted by gravity and a single miller, the mill's machinery automatically turned grain into flour."
The mill was used as a tea house after it was stopped being used as a mill. It was used as a tea house until the park services decided to restore the mill in 1930.
Peirce Mill Dam and "Herring Highway"
We looked around the barn and the mill and then went outside to look at the small Peirce Mill Dam and the "Herring Highway".
Then we began our hike along the Western Ridge Trail. The trail was fun to walk and we meandered towards and away from rock creek. At one point we got close enough to the creek we could go in. And go in we did :) we step-stoned and waded through the water and climbed up on rocks in the middle of the creek and sat there for a while.
The water up the creek looked so still till about 12 feet away from us, but from there on you could see it babbling along. It looked so deceiving. After spending the first few minutes taking photos, we just sat enjoying the place and looking at the fish swimming around. I found a stick and amused myself with it. Most of it broke away and continued downstream. Later, I got excited when I spotted another stick coming downstream toward us. As I pointed to it to show Saurabh, I saw it duck back into the water and realised it was a snake!!! As soon as it went under water, it disappeared. I tried to look for it again, but it was gone. I think it swam back upstream.
We stayed on the rock for a while longer, and then left to make our way back to the car. It was 5 PM and we hadn't eaten a meal all day!







No comments:
Post a Comment