Today while in an email conversation with Noella she asked me if I was watching the Isner-Mahut match which was in the 5th set tie break at 46-47. I thought it was a typo and opened slam tracker to check. There was no typo there. I, then, started following the match forgetting all about the the world cup (that I was following earlier). Isner and Mahut had resumed their match today, from yesterday, to play the 5th set after being at 2 sets all. This turned out the be the longest match in tennis history and the day ended without a result. The 5th set in itself is longer than any tennis match ever played (6 hours and 35 minutes)The match will resume tomorrow. It is currently poised at a 5th set tie break at 59-59!!!!! After 10 hours of play time. It is insane. I was getting updates about what was going on in the match from Naj. Isner was winning on aces. He was too tired to bend to hit any of his shots. At one point, he tried to eat a banana, but decided against it because it was too much effort to peel it. Mahut on the other hand did not seem very tired and was jumping about, perhaps, more to rub it into Isner!
At 59-59 Mahut was having difficulties seeing the ball because of low light and asked for play to be suspended for the day. Isner wanted to continue playing. The match was called off and Isner wasn't happy. Tomorrow will be interesting, but I think it will end soon. The rest might make them sore and prevent them from bringing their A game to the court. They may not be able to serve as fantastically as they were today. Tomorrow, like today, they will resume play on Court 18.
At 59-59 Mahut was having difficulties seeing the ball because of low light and asked for play to be suspended for the day. Isner wanted to continue playing. The match was called off and Isner wasn't happy. Tomorrow will be interesting, but I think it will end soon. The rest might make them sore and prevent them from bringing their A game to the court. They may not be able to serve as fantastically as they were today. Tomorrow, like today, they will resume play on Court 18.

No comments:
Post a Comment