Thursday, October 3, 2013

Himalayan Trek! :)





This morning Varsha sent me a couple of photos from the Himalayan trek and it brought back a flood of memories. After my 10th std was over and at the beginning of 11th standard, I went for this trek through school. 

We all flew on Air India from Muscat to Delhi via Bombay. From the Delhi airport, we took a bus to Dehradun. We had to pile our bags on top of the bus ourselves! It was the most uncomfortable bus ride I'd ever been on, but also one of the most fun! We picked up hiking and camping gear and then headed to our camp grounds on the Ganga banks. There we camped for 2 days so we could white water raft, before we headed to the mountains to begin, our 9 day (I think??) trek. 

The days were warm and no second layer was needed and the nights were frightfully cold. We'd sit by the fire each night, all of us trying to get as close as possible. And at the end of the night, once we got into our sleepings bags, it was nearly impossible to get out of it in the early mornings. Then, to wash our face in the ice cold water of a stream near by was usually brutal, but now, after so many years, I remember it fondly and I am so glad for the nasty cold I endured, because that experience was one of a kind and I don't think I would want it replaced, ever. 

The sights were beautiful, the hours walked were endless and the fun was just amazing. I am so so so so glad I got to take advantage of the opportunity! 

After our last day of trekking we boarded a bus to head back to Dehradun for water sports and for Sumit Dargan's wedding. The roads on the way were closed at around midnight or 1AM and we had to stop at a roadside town and sleep in a dorm. One LARGE room that housed us all, boys and girls. When our shoes came off, the stench. Oh Good God! The stench of smelly trekking feet that had accumulated after 9 days of almost no baths. Haha! :) But we had a wonderful time there, ate at small restaurant and probably woke up the entire town at 2AM with our loud singing on the road as we waited for paan. 

One of the best trips I have ever taken, and now, everytime I think about it, I hope I can afford the same opportunity to my children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment