
Due to the travel chaos that the erruption of Eyjafjallajokull in Iceland has caused, there are numerous articles in the news about non-air modes of travel. Reading about the Estonian first couple travelling through 9 countries on land to get back home; or people considering taking a ship to go home; or reading about how, when you fly, you miss everything you have passed only to experience the destination, the journey in essence is wasted time makes me want to pack up and leave on a land journey through...anywhere. I don't care where. Anywhere is sure to give me a rich experience. Travelling on a train and meeting people in my compartment, taking a car ride (even though I can't drive) and discovering a small restaurant hidden at the wrong left turn you took, taking a cruise and seeing whales in the ocean, finding an odd animal by the side of the road, enjoying the change in landscape from one place to the next, finding the odd picturesque waterfall, waving at children as you pass them by, stopping to buy fruits from the vendors...
I want to make journey memories. I have a lot of travel memories and I definitely want more of those, but I also want journey memories... Hopefully, soon, I will stop letting whatever it is that is preventing me from making those memories and embark to journey and not just travel.
:D I find that this is possible only if you're alone.. or if you are with like minded people.. Some people are incapable of enjoying that small restaurant at the wrong left turn because all they can think about is the "wrong" turn they took and how thats going to set them back.. if you know what I mean... but yes I am definitely all about the journey idea.
ReplyDeleteyes, true. however, when you plan to journey, you have no set plans...so it is all good! :)
ReplyDelete