
Over the past year I have been trying to move to healthier eating options. I have replaced all the regular pasta at home with whole wheat pasta, except for Maggi (though I do have the wheat Maggi as well). I have basically eliminated most processed foods. I look at ingredients of most things I buy and try to avoid buying food that lists more ingredients than I can count on my fingers. I only buy multigrain or whole wheat bread.
My next step was to reduce the consumption of rice. Since I am unable to cook brown rice, I needed to find an alternative. While bread goes well with dal and other such foods, when eating Thai curry or chicken manchurian bread does not cut it. Enter Quinoa. Last night I made some quinoa that Houda generously gave me to try. You prepare it much like you would prepare rice, and eat it too like you would rice. I had it with some home made red Thai curry. I loved it, and the nutty texture only adds more to its deliciousness! Not only is it less starchy than rice, it is nutritionally richer. I now have my rice substitue! :)
My next step was to reduce the consumption of rice. Since I am unable to cook brown rice, I needed to find an alternative. While bread goes well with dal and other such foods, when eating Thai curry or chicken manchurian bread does not cut it. Enter Quinoa. Last night I made some quinoa that Houda generously gave me to try. You prepare it much like you would prepare rice, and eat it too like you would rice. I had it with some home made red Thai curry. I loved it, and the nutty texture only adds more to its deliciousness! Not only is it less starchy than rice, it is nutritionally richer. I now have my rice substitue! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment