Friday, May 27, 2016

Walks in the Afternoons


Since March, after lunch, if I have some time, I have been going for a quick walk. It took me a few days to figure out my route that explores the historic foggy bottom neighbourhood, and now I love it. I didn't realise how attached I had got to it, until this week when I hadn't gone for the walk for 3 days (Monday and Tuesday, we were in Eugene, and Wednesday I was too busy to go). 

I first leave the hospital and walk through the GW Medical Center Park to get to 24th street.
GW Medical Center Park
Then, I continue on I street to 25th street.
I Street - between 24th & 25th
I Street - between 24th & 25th
On 25th street, I turn North towards K Street. 
 
25th Street, Going to K from I

Then, I turn left on K street to head toward 26th Street.
K Street
These call boxes are on K street, close to 26th. Wish they'd art-ify them
 Here, K ends at 26th and I turn left to head South on 26th. 
26th Street
I don't go all the way to I street, instead, I turn East on Queen Anne's Lane, my favourite street here. It slopes up, and I love the row of houses here. :) This lane almost seems hidden, I only discovered it last year during 'Art in Foggy Bottom' when one of the art works was on Hughes Mews lane. It is still there, a mural of flowers (Garden). :)
Queen Annes Lane
Garden, by Elizabeth Graeber
Queen Annes lane meets Hughes Mews lane briefly and then continues to 25th street. 
Queen Annes meets Hughes Mews
Queen Annes Lane Continues to 25th Street
 On 25th street I head South.  
25th Street - between Queen Annes & I
25th Street - between Queen Annes & I 
I keep going on 25th street until it meets New Hampshire Avenue. 
25th Street leading to New Hampshire. 
There, I turn right to this hidden lane behind the buildings. The lane goes all the way till the 26th street dead end.
Entrance to the Hidden Lane
My Hidden Lane that looks over 66.
Going towards 26th
Looking towards 25th
You are at the same height as the street lights for 66, here.
The lane leading to I street. Watching Post by Graham Caldwell
The walk leads to I street, that I then follow to 24th street. 
I Street - from 26th looking to  25th
I Street - from 25th looking to 26th
I Street (25th looking to 26th) - I love how the streets in this neighbourhood
I Street - going from 25th to New Hampshire Avenue
I like this house and yard at I and New Hampshire
I was taking photos of these flowers on my walk when this bee buzzed in at the right instant and left. I didn't actually see it . When I was looking at my photos, I got a pleasant surprise
I Street - New Hampshire to 24th Street
On 24th street, I turn south towards H street.
24th Street
On H street, I turn East to get to 23rd. On H street is the GW Grow Garden
H Street - Going to 23rd from 24th
GroW Garden on H Street
At the corner of H and 23rd is a lone cherry tree. In full bloom, it looks beautiful, as all cherry trees do :). 



And, finally, I turn left on 23rd street to head back to work.
23rd Street, headed back to the hospital

No comments:

Post a Comment