Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Google Doodle 2010

The kids are so extremely talented. Even the itty bitty ones! The art they come up with is inspiring at the very least! I had the hardest time picking a doodle in the Grade 4-6 division. I ended up picking what I did with a half heart, coz there was definitely at least one more that I wanted to vote for. Oh well...

It is amazing how many of the younger kids out there are worried about the Earth, the environment and the dwindling wildlife. So many of the doodles focussed on making the world a better place environmentally through pollution cuts, sustainability or wildlife conservation. One even talks about inhabiting other planets as they would be less polluted than Earth. The older kids seem to be more consumed with the harsh reality of the real world; sickness, poverty, child illiteracy etcetera. Hopefully, the new generation continues to care enough to be interested in making the world a better place.

At a talk I recently went for at the National Geographic museum by a photographer of wildlife he showed at the end of his presentation photos of his daughter doing various things. The photos showed how she loved her computer, her ipod and everything electronic. He then remarked that we can't wait for the next generation to save the world, they want nothing to do with it! It made for a fun joke and a scary thought. However going by google doodle, it seems that the new generation does care. Hopefully this concern remains in them even after the big bad world corrupts them. I hope their wishes are realised.

These are the ones I voted for:



Grades K-3
Rainforest Habitat
I chose this doodle because the rainforest is in danger and it is not fair to the plants and animals. I love everything except spiders and snakes, but I would still save them.
Name: Makenzie Melton
Age: 9
School: El Dorado Springs R-2 Schools
City, State: El Dorado Springs, Missouri

Grades 4-6
The Milky Way Playground
I always dreamed of going to space. Well I wondered, wouldn't it be great if there was a playground out there? Riding a shooting star, having a hula hoop contest with Saturn, and having a race to Pluto. "If I could do anything..." I would make a playground in space!
Name: Jennifer Ahn
Age: 9
School: Shakerag Elementary School
City, State: Johns Creek, Georgia

Grades 7-9
Free The World Of Pollution
In my doodle, "Free the World of Pollution", I express my love of nature and my interest in protecting our earth's ecosystems. Pollution is disrupting the balance on Earth, and I believe that if everyone finds a way to help, all of nature would rejoice in happiness and harmony.
Name: Julia Proctor
Age: 13
School: Loveland Middle School
City, State: Loveland, Ohio

Grades 10-12
Branch Out
My doodle expresses my desire to understand other views and cultures. I want to branch out to gain a strong sense of the world; not only in one perspective, but many. My wish is to show people my experiences through a pursuit of art/design in my future career.
Name: Bevan Schiffli
Age: 16
School: Highlands School
City, State: Highlands, North Carolina



1 comment: