Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saint Sophia's Greek Festival - Spring 2010


The much awaited Greek festival was this weekend (May 14th to the 16th). My previous posts keep mentioning the festival and here is finally photos and more about the festival. I first found out about the Greek festival here when I was moving into the Chancery in October 2007. I was in a cab and we passed the festival at the grounds of Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Church Cathedral. The cabbie told me the food is excellent and he was sure to be there the next night eating. We went the next day to the festival, stood in the hour long queue in wait for gyro and our taste buds were heavily rewarded. The festival typically happens every spring and fall. Every time there has been a Greek festival here since, we have been.

This time, on Friday night we went for the hot buffet and had the pastisio, moussaka, dolmades and chicken liver. The pastisio was the tastiest and I didn't care much for the chicken liver. We strolled around the stalls, I found a stall selling copper earrings that were gorgeous. They were all soooo pretty and in such beautiful colours, picking what I wanted was so hard. We bought softy and then headed home.

We came back on Saturday and I picked up the copper earrings I wanted . It took me forever to decide which ones I wanted. There was an absolutely gorgeous green, but not in the shape I wanted, so regretfully I didn't buy any in that colour. For dinner, Aram joined us, we stood in the long long queue for gyro. We made it in the nick of time, we were probably some of the last people to get their white yogurt sauce before they ran out of it completely. Phew! After dinner, we browsed around a bit, got some softys again and head home.

Sunday, we went back for lunch and this time they had the roasted lamb!!! Score! We had though they wouldn't have it this time. Last time, was the first time they had it, and it was just so divine that we were quite disappointed that it wasn't going to be there this time. But, Sunday saved that disappointment! :) After waiting an hour, again, we got our lamb! :) We had originally thought to go back for dinner, but 3 Greek meals this weekend and we were satisfied. :)

Now for photo time! :)

Grill 1: sold gyro, souvlaki etc
Check out the lines!!! No wonder it took an hour!
Some other stalls selling sweets
Kids sold stuff here - fruits kababs and lemonade (yummm!!!!)
Me with my gyro, one bite in. :)
The Gyro!
The Sunkist! Must be had with every Greek festival gyro to ensure complete happyness
Greek Dancing!
More Greek Dancing!
The Greek live band!
Jewellery
Stalls inside the tent
Sand Art
Coloured Sand
Lights!
Roasting Lambbbbb
The lamb mealllll!!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment