Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's been a year all ready?


Last year, on May 7th, I came back to my desk at work after having been in the lab for an hour or two. I checked my email and there were a few new emails. One of them was a facebook message from Uncle David. I was excited to see it, and left it to read last. I always leave the emails I think I'm going to like for the end.

As it turned out, it was the worst email I'd ever gotten. Uncle had written to tell me that Aunty had lost her battle with cancer and passed away the previous day. :( The shock that that email brought was compounded by the fact that I had no idea aunty was even battling cancer anymore. I thought she had ridden it out and was fine. I had met her a few months before and there was nothing to show that she was sick again.

Now, it's a year since she has passed on to a calmer and hopefully worry-free place. I didn't think that today would bring with it any exceptional sadness. But, it has. This sadness is a strange feeling. I don't quite know what sets me off, but suddenly I get very sad. It isn't that I think about her, miss her and then get consumed by the sadness. I cannot put my finger on what pushes me over, but something does. It's a kind of sadness I have never experienced before.

I miss her. Even though I didn't really talk to her much after they left DC, I still miss her. I know she has gone, but everytime I see a photo of hers it's difficult to understand her being gone. If that makes any sense.

She was by far one of the most wonderful people I have ever met. Always, almost everyday, there is something that reminds me of one of the things she's told me. I am just so so grateful for having met and known her.

I love you, I miss you aunty.

No comments:

Post a Comment